Debniki is a former suburban village situated near the Skałki Twardowskiego Rocks. The name comes from the tanning of hides (old Polish dębienie) or from oak wood (dębina). The district stretches over 10 miles and includes many former villages with their varied histories, and a landscape park. In 1910 it was included into the city of Kraków, and the Worker Settlement developed along today’s ul. Praska in 1935–38. During the Second World War, this neighbourhood was to be demolished and replaced with an ideal Nazi city, however the plans were never executed.
After the war, in 1952, today’s Dębnicki Bridge replaced the one blown up by the Germans. It stands close to the even newer Grunwaldzki Bridge, which leads to Kazimierz. Many important buildings are situated at its Dębniki end: ICE Kraków Congress Centre, and, with the most attractive architecture, the Manggha Museum of Japanese Art and Technology.