AGH University of Science and Technology is one of Poland’s prime technical universities. The gate of its main and first seat is flanked with huge figures of steelworkers and miners designed by Jan Raszka (rebuilt in 1979), reminding all of AGH’s original name: “the Academy of Mining and Metallurgy”. On the roof is St Barbara, the patron saint of miners. At its opening in 1935 it was one of the country’s largest buildings, with 110,000m² of space. While the front is classicist, the remaining part is modernist. Today, the AGH has 27,500 students, runs 62 courses, and employs a faculty of 4056.