Prokocim-Bieżanów is situated by the Wieliczka road that was staked out in the 18th century, yet the beaten track had served the salt trade much earlier. The nearby Obelisk on Kaim Hill marks the furthest incursion of the Russian army into Galicia in 1915 during the First World War.
The original manor house of Prokocim was replaced in the late 18th c. by the mansion known as the Jerzmanowski manor house, and the surrounding park, with its many old trees, is named after Anna and Erazm Jerzmanowski. After their deaths, the estate was purchased by the Augustine Order who raised the extant church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, designed by Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz. One of the most remarkable burial grounds of Lusatian culture (1300–500BC), with 500 urns with decorations, was discovered nearby in 1925. The district is also the headquarters of the University Hospital.