Płaszów was first mentioned in 1254. In 1855 the village was intersected by the Kraków–Lwów railway line, and the station opened in 1884. This encouraged industrial development that soon turned the rural area into an industrial hub.
Płaszów is remembered for the KL Plaszow concentration camp established here by the Nazi Germans. Towering over the camp is the massive concrete Plaszow Memorial, and nearby is the Liban Limestone Quarry. On the other side of the railway line is the Bagry Reservoir; one of the largest bodies of water in Kraków. In the heat of the summer it attracts crowds of breeze-thirsty locals and fans of water sports.