The University Hospital is a historical medical complex along ul. Kopernika and ul. Grzegórzecka, although the actual medical services are in the process of being transferred to the Prokocim district. The University Hospital is the largest hospital in Poland, and combines patient treatment with medical education. It started in 1788 as St Lazarus General Hospital, a foundation of the Primate Bishop of Poland Michał Poniatowski, and took over the premises of the former Discalced Carmelites Monastery in the district of Wesoła. The patients were in the care of the nuns from the Orders of Daughters of Charity. The institution developed and now has 31 clinical wards with over 1600 beds, 10 diagnostic units and 82 outpatient clinics. The 80,000 patients arriving here each year are treated by a staff of 4200.