Swoszowice is the southernmost district of Kraków, and its history is bound to sulphur deposits. Discovered in 1422, the mineral was mined since the 15th c. on the power of a royal charter.
Mining reached its peak in the 1860s, and today Swoszowice is mostly known for its curative sulphur waters and muds. The springs and the surrounding park make Swoszowice Poland’s only active spa situated within a metropolis. Even though the first mention of the healing properties of the local waters date back to the 16th century, it has only operated since 1811.